We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travellers each month.
Viator, a Tripadvisor company, makes it easy to find and book something you'll love to do. With access to the world's largest selection of high-quality experiences, there's always something new to discover, both near and far from home. From must-do moments to who-knew discoveries, see the familiar in a new way, or the unknown for the first time.
With industry-leading flexibility and last-minute availability, it's never too late to make any day extraordinary. Plan ahead, or decide that morning. Change your dates. Or change your mind entirely! This is your time off, your way, and we're here to help.
We also know that your time off is precious. So we ruthlessly focus on quality, and we specialize in experiences so incredible, you'll want to tell your friends.
Spend less time searching, and more time making memories. Discover story-worthy experiences, anytime, anywhere, and rapidly.
We're looking for a Principal Software Engineer with extensive Android and iOS development experience to join our Viator app team, working from either the Lisbon office. The Viator app captivates travelers with meaningful promises of lifelong memories from more than 200,000 bookable experiences. It will give our millions of customers a flawless experience that earns their trust and loyalty so that they stay with Viator for all of their future trips.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across TripAdvisor, we've worked hard to create an atmosphere of "Speed Wins" – minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we'd love to talk to you.
What you'll do
- As part of a dedicated team, build and maintain an app which puts the customer at the heart of everything, delivering the best end to end experience of Viator across the whole customer lifecycle.
- Code! Our engineers focus on doing what they enjoy most and do best, writing code.
- Instigate standards and practices that ensure great software development across the native app team.
- Make tactical and strategic technical decisions relating to the Viator app.
- Touch code at every level – while the focus is app development, you'll also work on backend microservices and down to the database.
- Operate across our evolving mobile technology stack - we're currently developing in Kotlin and Swift on the client and GraphQL, Java, SOLR, MySQL and more at the back-end.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Collaborate closely with the app's dedicated Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for travellers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world.
What we're looking for
- Considerable experience of developing stable and performant Android and iOS apps. Familiarity with mobile web and back-end technologies would also be beneficial
- A user-focused approach to developing apps
- Demonstrated excellence of working in cross-functional teams in fast-paced environments
- Industry leading knowledge of native app tooling and robust delivery pipelines for both Android and iOS
- At least ten years' experience of commercial software development
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
What you'll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus.
- Excellent contributory pension.
- Full family private medical cover.
- Full dental cover.
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership).
- Personal travel reimbursement.
- Critical illness plus full life cover.
- Employee assistance program.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at email@example.com.